Monday 19 March 2018

Hip fracture setback

For the past several weeks my general mobility and pain levels deteriorated to the point where I had to be transported to Guelph General Hospital via ambulance. No longer able to walk, I required immediate surgery to correct a hip fracture, a break in the upper quarter of the femur (thigh bone) caused by my aggressive cancer. This hip pinning procedure required special screws to be placed down and through my leg to hold things in the correct position. Today I am currently recovering from surgery at Guelph General Hospital and undergoing daily physio/rehab to get back on my feet again.

Just days before I was placed into surgery to correct the hip fracture, I had started the new clinical trial at the Juravinski Cancer Centre in Hamilton. At this point as I recover from the hip surgery at Guelph General, the clinical trial has been put on hold but we have been assured that it will continue upon my recovery which will hopefully be some time over the next week or so.

I admit it's been a huge disappointment having to now deal with this hip issue and once again landing in hospital.

I continue to be hopeful that once I recover from my surgery that I'll be back on the clinical trial which has given me high hopes based on the information that the lead study oncologist has provided to us and overall success that the trial has had in cases like mine. Let's once again examine how lucky I am: so far I am the only candidate out of 10 selected and approved for this particular new trial study in this region. Yes, one of 10!

There are still many reasons to remain positive and hopeful despite these recent setbacks. Over the next few weeks I expect to fully recover from the hip surgery, get my mobility back and begin walking (and maybe even running) normally again, and get back on track with the clinical trial to take on this cancer.

On another note, it looks like we are going to have to postpone the Manhattan's Music Event which was scheduled for next Sunday, March 25 from 1pm - 5pm at Manhattan's Guelph 951 Gordon Street. Thanks very much for your patience and understanding!

I will keep you all posted on the new music event date once I'm out of the hospital and recovered.

Anika and I with our new Taylor guitars








No comments:

Post a Comment