Sunday 27 November 2016

Prognosis positive

Prognosis is a medical term for predicting the probable course and likely outcome of a disease or serious medical condition. I don't envy any doctor or health care professional expected to deliver a prognosis to their patient. I've had a few different ones over the past two and half weeks, each one varied and in each instance time had elapsed, variables changed, and ultimately the prognosis changed. After many visits to the hospital, appointments and tests: CT scan, bone scan, gastroscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound and biopsy of the prostate, it appears certain now that the root origin of my cancerous brain tumour is prostate cancer which in the opinion of the doctors is one of the best case scenarios as far as prognosis goes. So, despite the fact that it's spread to my bones and spine it’s still positive and welcome news for me!

I am a numbers kind of person. I am a programmer into statistics and analytics, and for the most part see the analysis of data as necessary and useful.

In March of this year, I purchased a FitBit fitness tracker for the main purpose of monitoring my heart rate on a more consistent basis, but after a few weeks, found that I began using the step tracker feature more. The FitBit was programmed with a default daily goal of 10,000 steps (about 7.5 km), such that if you achieve your goal, it does this little celebration for you and flashes a message of your achievement on your watch display with a slight vibration.

In the middle of April, I decided I was going to walk 10,000 steps per day for 365 straight days, regardless of the weather, regardless of how I was feeling - no matter what - 365 days of 10,000 steps or bust - just like that old postal service saying "neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail".

Unfortunately, my FitBit streak ended at 174 days on October 4, 2016, the day my tumour emerged from behind my eye - a day that I could not get out of bed, eat, or sleep. It was a competition in a way -  with myself, but one that I was not able to achieve nor could I have ever imagined that in fact that a tumour was going to be the reason for the end of my streak and ultimate goal.

In general, I see competition as a good thing. At a young age I almost became obsessed with winning and sometimes used numbers and statistics to help achieve my goals. Embarrassingly, when I was in my 20's, I used to keep track of all my tennis scores at the club with the ultimate goal of going an entire season undefeated. I achieved this goal in the year of 1987 with 43 wins, 1 tie (due to rain), and 0 losses. Am I bragging right now - OK maybe? I’ve since matured somewhat (maybe a little), not so obsessed with necessarily winning, but still very much into the statistics and analysis.

Numbers and analysis can be a good way to help you drive and achieve goals, but numbers can also make you crazy and have a negative impact on your attitude and future.

Since this whole experience began, I’ve actually gone out of my way to avoid numbers and statistics. I’ve refrained from looking at odds, prognosis numbers and percentages particularly with so much information and misinformation out there on the internet. I look at other professions such as real estate agents or financial advisors, and the fact that every day they are out there performing analysis, making predictions, and advising clients based on the most recent data, but in the end, nobody has that crystal ball and can really know for sure as has been proven time and again.

So, it appears certain now that I have prostate cancer. Was it preventable? Should it have been detected years ago? Should I have insisted on a prostate screening back in my 40’s (I am now 52)? Do I need to warn all of my male friends in their 40's and 50's to immediately see their doctor about a prostate cancer test? These are the things that are going through my mind at this time, so I started doing some research.

I found some good and reliable medical guides on screening and tests that you should get done in each of the different phases of your life, starting in your 20’s. Of course, this list gets much longer by the time you reach your 40’s, 50’s, and beyond. The 50’s list alone includes screening for prostate cancer, screening for colon cancer with fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, screening for testicular cancer including monthly self exams, cholesterol testing, screening for type II diabetes, screening for skin cancer, oral cancer, lung cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, and believe it or not, there are more . . .

So, how do you manage this? How is it possible to keep up with all of these tests and screening? If there is any advice I can give at this point, it’s simply to make sure that you have a family doctor, work together to understand the tests and screening that can be done, and ask for help in scheduling these over the course of many years. Seeing a list like this can be overwhelming, but your doctor can be seen as your coach or manager - recommend and schedule, and help you to prioritize.

I continue to have so many memorable and meaningful experiences, and need to thank Kathryn for putting up with an almost-crazy person at times and being patient and amazing. New drugs and the mix and variations have proved challenging at times (remember, blame it on the meds?). Our kids have also been incredible. We've spoken to them about cancer and what Daddy is going through, and they are incredibly understanding and courageous and go out of their way to give me extra love and attention whenever possible.

Thanks to my neighbour Anne for that awesome pot of soup which lasted the entire week I loved it! Thanks for all the incredible visits and chats. Thanks to Elizabeth (the lady who prayed for me on the patio at Eric the Baker) who came to my house the other day to hug me and pray for me. Thanks to the cab driver who refused payment, gave me a rosary, and told me his church will be praying for me on Sunday (I had never met this man before).

Thanks for the music my good friends Jamie, Paul, George, John - we’ve had some fantastic musical moments and jams over the past two weeks and I look forward to more. The music night I previously mentioned is currently in the works and I will keep you all posted whether you want to come out to play or just watch and be with friends.

Two weekends ago my best friend/best man Joe (my twin brother different mother we are born on the same day same year!) and wife Lucy came to visit us at the cottage, and as I was standing there with both Joe and my wife Kathryn together, I came to appreciate that I was in the presence of the two people on this earth outside of my family that have had the most positive impact on my life. What a moment that was to have that realization - one of those special moments you never forget.

We still have a hurdle or two to overcome, but if all goes well this week and next, we will be planning our trip to Croatia and Paris, France. Cousin Pero: "Bookie" is on it!

Thank you so much to all my family and friends. I continue to be amazed and inspired by all of you. I am one very lucky person.

My good neighbour, Elizabeth 



2 comments:

  1. Bookie apprentice calling for duty :), we are looking forward, big time!!!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, I'm SO incredibly thankful to read your news today!!! Big Hug!!!!

    ReplyDelete